Skilled Work Visas

Skilled Work Visas

The Department of Home Affairs have been making significant changes to Australia’s work migration visas over the past year or so.

These changes have been major in nature and changed the landscape of migration law for workers considerably.

Employers can still however sponsor or nominate workers to remain in Australia for both a temporary and permanent basis.

It is just that the laws, regulations and rules governing such migration law are complex and complicated in nature, even for experienced lawyers and migration agents as us.

What I propose to do below is run through the main categories of work related migration visa options with links to the Department’s website.

Temporary Work

If you would like to be sponsored to work in Australia for a period of between one and four years, you may be able to apply for the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa (subclass 482).

Permanent Employer Sponsored Entry Program

Employers in Australia can sponsor skilled workers to remain in Australia on a permanent basis through the Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186).

Skilled Work Visas

Skilled Work Visas

Investment Visas 

If you want to invest in Australia, there are a number of streams of visas that the Department has that you can apply for. This includes the provisional Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188). After satisfactory evidence of a specified level of investment activity in Australia, you then may want to apply for the permanent Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 888).

Business Owner Visas 

If you want to establish a new or develop an existing business in Australia, there are two visa options you might want to consider. The Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188) might be a visa option for you.

Business migrants can also apply for a Business Talent visa (subclass 132) to access permanent residence if they can evidence high level business skills.


If you have an innovative idea for a new product, service or business and have third party funding from a specified source to undertake entrepreneurial activity in Australia, the Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 188) might suit you. After satisfactory evidence of a successful record of entrepreneurial activity in Australia, you might want to apply for the permanent Business Innovation and Investment visa (subclass 888).

Entrepreneurs can also consider the Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream of the Business Talent visa (subclass 132) to access permanent residency if they have obtained high level funding from an Australian venture capital firm.

Other Temporary Work / Activity Visas

If you want to travel to Australia for short-term work, you might be eligible for the Department’s Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) which will allow you do to short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work in Australia.

Also in the event that you plan to come to Australia on a temporary basis to undertake one of the following activities, you might be eligible for the Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408):

  • work in the entertainment industry
  • participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation
  • participate or observe in an Australian research project
  • work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement
  • participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs
  • participate in approved special program
  • do full-time religious work
  • be employed as a superyacht crew member
  • do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives
  • participate in a government endorsed event.

CALL US NOW ON 9528 0235 for an obligation free preliminary telephone discussion on your work related migration needs.

We have two handy offices in Sydney located at Crows Nest and Jannali.

Comments are closed.